PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : International Drive

Michael66
09-09-13, 22:16
Na de vele vernieuwingen op International Drive ligt er nu een voorstel om de drukke kruising met Sand Lake Road te verbeteren.
Mango’s owner proposes new I-Drive pedestrian bridge

The owner of the planned restaurant/nightclub in Orlando’s International Drive tourist corridor is looking at ways of making a very busy intersection a little more walkable. Josh Wallack, Mango’s chief operating officer, said his company is evaluating how to address a lack of parking on the site, and one option could be adding a pedestrian walkway at the intersection of I-Drive and Sand Lake Road.

The firm initially looked at asking Orange County for a parking variance that would have allowed for an offsite parking lot on the north side of Sand Lake Road behind the Perkins restaurant, but that idea ran into some opposition. Now, Mango’s is looking at other parking options, such as the addition of a parking garage, and came up with the idea of a pedestrian bridge, Wallack said. He proposed the project as a privately funded bridge to the Florida Department of Transportation last month and met with a department consultant last week. The project could cost roughly $2 million and would require county and state approvals, he said.
It would make that intersection safer for pedestrians and would benefit existing as well as new businesses, including Mango’s and all the new venues in the $200 million I-Drive Live dining and entertainment district, plus the neighboring $100 million I-Shops development and the World’s Largest Entertainment McDonald’s and PlayPlace, which reportedly is being redeveloped and expanded, according to TheDailyCity.com.

“Imagine if you’re on the [Orlando Eye observation wheel] at I-Drive Live and you think to yourself ‘I want a Big Mac.’ Right now, you have to go to your car and navigate through traffic on I-Drive or walk across that dangerous intersection just to go to the McDonald’s. That’s not the best way,” Wallack told OBJ. “We have to make it as pedestrian-friendly as possible here to help the businesses. And we’re not going to get 8-foot sidewalks anytime soon. A bridge would make it a pedestrian thoroughfare.”

Wallack said he’s still in the early stages of garnering support for this project — talking with county commissioners about the idea and with other businesses about providing easements and other details — so he’s not sure on a time frame for the bridge. However, he said his company is serious about it and already has been working with Orlando-based architect firm L2 Studios Inc. on the concept.http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1089/diug.jpg
Bron: http://bit.ly/1ewTsQL

Ta2 Gerrit
10-09-13, 10:30
Ziet er wel leuk uit, en misschien wel een oplossing voor drukke kruispunten op I-Drive.

Michael66
10-09-13, 12:22
Dat klopt. Het zijn vooral de Engelse en andere Europese toeristen die daar wat verdwaasd rondlopen.

Njit
10-09-13, 12:40
Nu is het soms ook belachelijk. Wil je naar de overkant van de straat, is het makkelijker en vooral veiliger om de auto te pakken dan over te steken.

Michael66
10-09-13, 14:20
Dat is ook zo. Vandaar dit voorstel van een plaatselijke ondernemer om hier wat aan te doen. Niet geheel zonder eigenbelang, want als er meer toeristen "de oversteek" van Sand Lake Road maken, hoe meer (potentiële) klanten!

Njit
10-09-13, 14:45
Ze schetsen het idd zelf ook in het stukje:

“Imagine if you’re on the [Orlando Eye observation wheel] at I-Drive Live and you think to yourself ‘I want a Big Mac.’ Right now, you have to go to your car and navigate through traffic on I-Drive or walk across that dangerous intersection just to go to the McDonald’s. That’s not the best way,” Wallack told OBJ. “We have to make it as pedestrian-friendly as possible here to help the businesses. And we’re not going to get 8-foot sidewalks anytime soon. A bridge would make it a pedestrian thoroughfare.”